Read my review of this amazing little scanner
Preserve memories with Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner and My Memories Digital Scrapbooking. You can use this special code STMMMS31969 to get a $10 discount off the purchase of the My Memories Suite Scrapbook software and a $10 coupon for the MyMemories.com store - $20 value!
Spotlight On Olive Tree Genealogy Blog Technorati ranks it as one of the 25 Most Popular Genealogy Blogs as of April 3, 2009. Don't miss the daily Tips, Announcements & Ideas
Ask Olive Tree! Your genealogy questions answered by Lorine
Newspapers 1690-1980 Historical Books 1801 - 1900, Historical Documents 1789 - 1980, America's Obituaries 1977 to current, and Social Security Death Index 1937 to current on GenealogyBank.com
Check out the Olive Tree Genealogy Marketplace & Store
Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
Census Online! * Complete 1790 to 1930 United States Federal Census taken every 10 years
* 1851 Canada Census
* 1871 Canada Census, head of house index only
* 1881 Canada Census (no images)
* 1891 Canada Census
* 1901 Canada Census
* 1906 Canada Census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta
* 1911 Canada Census
* 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Channel Islands Census
1850 American Slave Schedules
... more about updates and additions
Quick Links Olive Tree Genealogy - Free ships passenger lists, Native American genealogy, Palatines, Huguenots and much much more
NaturalizationRecords.com - Free naturalization records, passport applications, alien registrations & voters' registrations
AncestorsAtRest.com - free death records including coffin plates and funeral cards
Canada Search Search for ancestors in Canadian genealogy records
1880 Census U.S.A.
Questions Asked on the 1880 Census
In cities: Name of street; house number
- 1. Dwelling houses numbered in order of visitation.
- 2. Families numbered in order of visitation.
- 3. The name of every person whose place of abode on the 1st day of June, 1880, was in this family.
- 4. Color – White, W; black, B; Mulatto, Mu; Chinese, C; Indian, I.
- 5. Sex – Males (M), females (F)
- 6. Age at last birthday prior to June 1, 1880. If under 1 year, give months in fractions, thus, 3/12.
- 7. If born within the census year, give the month.
- 8. Relationship of each person to the head of this family – whether wife, son, daughter, servant, boarder, or other.
- 9. Single.
- 10. Married.
- 11. Widowed; divorced.
- 12. Married during census year
- 13. Profession, occupation, or trade of each male, male or female.
- 14. Number of months this person has been unemployed during the census year.
- 15. Is the person (on the day of the enumerator’s visit) sick or temporarily disabled, so as to be unable to attend to ordinary business or duties? Is so, what is the sickness or disability?
- 16. Blind.
- 17. Deaf and dumb.
- 18. Idiotic.
- 19. Insane.
- 20. Maimed, crippled, bedridden, or otherwise disabled.
- 21. Attended school within the census year.
- 22. Can not read.
- 23. Can not write.
- 24. Place of birth of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth.
- 25. Place of birth of the father of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth
- 26. Place of birth of the mother of this person, naming State or Territory of United States, or the country, if of foreign birth
Free Census Forms
Census Extraction Forms
Compare online sites for U.S. Federal Census Records 1880 Does the site have on-line census images with linked indexes? What kind of indexes does the site have - head of house only, or every name? Just images? Indexes only? Compare and then decide which will best help you find that elusive ancestor
|images, every name index, images linked from FamilySearch
Free Search: 14 Day Trial - Annual World Deluxe Membership
14 Day FREE Trial US Deluxe on Ancestry.com,
14 Day FREE Trial World Deluxe on Ancestry.com,
(includes census records)
|Every name index, no images, but linked to Ancestry.com images
Free Search: 1880 census
|No index, images only
Free Search: Available at Libraries offline and online (free with Library Card)
Extracted Names from the 1880 U.S. Census
Orphans in St. Patrick's Orphan Asylum Rochester, Monroe County, New York 1880
St. Vincent's Female Orphan Asylum Albany, Albany County, New York 1880
St. Patrick's Male Orphan Asylum Cortlandt, Westchester County, New York 1880
Troy Catholic Orphan (Male) Asylum Troy, Rensalaer County New York 1880
St. Vincent's Orphan Protectory (Male) Uitca Oneida County, New York 1880
St. Joseph's Female Orphan Asylum Brooklyn, Kings County New York 1880
Searching the US Census (all years!) by Name in One Step [Steve Morse's One-Step Search Engines, a different way to search the online census]
Searching the US Census (all years!) by Name in One Step [Steve Morse's One-Step Search Engines, a different way to search the online census at Genealogy.com]
Directory of Links for online Census Records USA